Jonathan Marashlian is the President and CEO of The Commpliance Group, Inc.
Mr. Marashlian is a nationally-known expert in communications law and regulation, specializing in market entry, communications taxes & fees, and regulatory compliance. He is an AV Preeminent Rated attorney and multiple winner of Lexology / International Law Office Client Choice Awards. Mr. Marashlian is the recipient of SmartCEO’s Executive Management Award. The Executive Management Awards (EMAs) honor C-suite executives who have gone above and beyond to support and lead their organizations. SmartCEO recognizes executives who uphold the highest ethics, lead collaboratively and creatively, and enhance and support the organization’s mission. An independent committee of local business leaders reviews the EMA nominations, and winners are chosen based on the quality of the nominations submitted.
In 2005, anticipating the seismic shift in the market for effective yet affordable legal services, Mr. Marashlian set out to engineer its one-of-a-kind, “Full Spectrum” professional services business model. The ground-breaking processes developed by the firm enable it to provide value-driven, high-quality professional services that deliver business-savvy solutions for reasonable, predictable, task appropriate costs; all provided with the customer-friendly approach that has become his organization’s hallmark characteristic.
The Commpliance Group offers consulting services to companies of all types and sizes in the telecommunications, broadband and broadcast industries. The Commpliance Group’s over 250 clients range from the smallest entrepreneurial start-up ventures to Fortune 100 enterprises. A fundamental principal that drives Mr. Marashlian and his organization is the belief that all companies operating in the heavily regulated communications industry — big or small, well-known or unknown — should have access to affordable, predictable and effective support from experienced, thoughtful and caring professionals.
Regulated businesses are no longer willing to pay higher-priced lawyers and overpaid paralegals to tend to their basic licensing and compliance needs. Yet, at the same time, businesses in the rapidly converging telecom field can ill afford the adverse consequences of entrusting these needs to consulting “shops” which lack awareness and sensitivity to the risks of operating in an environment fraught with uncertainties, ambiguities and enormous gray areas. The consequences are simply too great.
Under Mr. Marashlian’s leadership, his professional services organization provides the optimal solution through a sliding scale of service levels, subject matter-appropriate rate structures, and shared client-centric relationships between the consulting professionals of The Commpliance Group and The CommLaw Group’s attorneys. Our unique business model allows us to direct work to the appropriate division and the appropriate professional within each division to capture the correct experience and rate structure for each distinctive client matter; all the while preserving efficient access to skilled legal professionals who not only understand the nuances of your company and the industry segment in which it operates, but also appreciate your risk tolerance and appetite for competitive advantage.
Our practice philosophy is to view Compliance as Opportunity. This unique philosophy and the business processes born from it allow us to identify and implement the most efficient and appropriate means to achieve your desired level of regulatory compliance, while simultaneously maximizing opportunity and minimizing the costs associated with achieving a multitude of interrelated, and seemingly contradictory, goals.
- The CommLaw Group- Oversee and set strategic vision of firm’s affiliated regulatory compliance consulting firm.
- My FCC Compliance-Created revolutionary, one-of-a-kind service that puts the power to obtain basic FCC licenses and maintain compliance with FCC regulations directly in the hands of communications service providers.
- Ad Hoc Coalition of International Telecommunications Companies-Coalition founder and advocate for fair, equitable and responsible administration of Universal Service Fund program by Universal Service Administrative Company.
- Member, Editorial Board of Law360
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board for the Thompson Multichannel Video Compliance Guide
Mr. Marashlian received his Bachelor of Arts degree and graduated cum laude from the University of Richmond, majoring in Political Science. Mr. Marashlian earned his Juris Doctor at the George Mason University School of Law where he completed specialized courses as part of the law school’s Regulatory Track; focusing on the telecommunications and information technology industries
Mr. Marashlian is licensed to practice in the state of Maryland.
Admitted to United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
Member of the Federal Communications Bar Association since 1997 and Armenian Bar Association.
Mr. Marashlian has also been invited to speak at a variety of industry events:
- “Surviving a USAC Audit: Tips for Facing an Audit with Confidence,” Speaker at TeleStrategies 2014.
- “Enter the SIP / Mobility / UCaaS Market with Confidence,” Speaker at Cloud Channel Partners 2015.
- “Ask a Lawyer,” Speaker at TeleStrategies 2015.
- “Managing Exemptions and Minimizing Exposure,” Speaker at TeleStrategies 2013.
- “Advanced FCC Revenue Reporting: Misperceptions, Mistakes & Missed Opportunities,” Speaker at TeleStrategies 2012. Click here to download presentation.
- Cloud Communications Alliance Webinar on Federal, State and Local Laws that affect Hosted VoIP Products and Services, 2012.
- “Regulatory Landscape: FCC Regulation of Non-Interconnected VoIP Service and the ‘Cloud,’” Speaker at Polycom ITSP Leadership Summit (Dec. 2011). Click here to download presentation.
- “Regulatory Landscape: VoIP and Cloud-based Communications,” Speaker at Avaya Global Law and Contracting Conference (Nov. 2011)
- “Regulatory, Tax and Business Implications of Recent FCC Decisions Related to Enhanced Communications,” Speaker at TeleStrategies Communications Taxation 2011 (May 2011). Click here to download presentation.
- VoIP Taxation and Regulatory Fees on the Rise: Your Guide to Compliance, Thompson Interactive Audio Conference (August 2009)
- “The Future of Regulation, Taxes and Litigation in Prepaid Calling,” Speaker at Prepaid Press Expo (August 2008)
- “Prepaid Industry Legal & Regulatory Update,” Speaker at NetworkIP 2007 Prepaid Leadership Summit (September 2007)
- Sonus Networks Technical Leadership Forum 2007, Moderator of Panel Session on Today’s Regulatory Environment & Net Neutrality
- “Prepaid Industry Legal & Regulatory Update: The Times, They are a Changin’,” Speaker at NetworkIP 2007 Prepaid Leadership Summit (April 2007)
- “Universal Service Fund: What is the End Game?,” Speaker at NetworkIP 2006 Prepaid Leadership Summit (September 2006)
- “USF: Past, Present & Future,” Speaker before National Telecommunications Credit Association (Nov. 2003)
- Implementation of the New National Broadband Plan – Issues, Opportunities and Challenges, Thompson Interactive Webinar (June 2010).